We owe…

Today is a day of remembrance and reflection for America. It is difficult to believe that the attack that refocused our view of vulnerability was eight years ago now. Eight long years ago – or should the statement be only eight years ago? Either way a discussion must be had.

The anniversary of 9/11 came up yesterday in one of my class discussions that was focused on what types of things facilitate change. 9/11 facilitated change in the way some folks in the United States viewed their safety and security. It also allowed a window of opportunity for implementation of new policies, structures and agendas.

Eight long years ago the idea of retribution was strong. We were willing to pay a price for our sense of safety and security. We accepted changes in security protocols and even supported the idea that our armed forces would engage in armed conflict to address the evil at hand. Collectively we believed in the strength of the American people and the commitment of our ideals.

Only eight years ago we were attacked on our own soil and we were stunned as a nation. We have not forgotten, but we have gotten back to the business of everyday life. We have normalized airport security and losses from combat. We are not complacent, but we have moved on.

So what do we owe the victims of 9/11; the victims’ families; the first responders and other crews who attempted rescue, worked at clean up and lost colleagues; the servicemen and women who fought the battle on foreign soil and who continue to deal with the aftereffects when they return home; the families of fallen soldiers; and the next generation of Americans? What do we owe besides platitudes that we will never forget? What do we owe to those who have carried a disproportionate burden? What do we owe to the memories of those who stepped up in the face of the event and in armed conflict since?

It has to be more than words or memorials. It has to be more than respect and reverence. It has to be more than a section in a history book.

We owe a learning curve that is not dissipated over time. We owe change that is incorporated into our collective American identity. We owe a commitment that history will not be allowed to repeat itself (as it is so often known to do). We, America – we owe more than never forgetting.

On the eighth anniversary of 9/11 we owe those who have given so much a response to the question, “What have we learned and how have we changed so that a repeat of this will be avoided?”

Eight long years…only eight years – either way it has been a long enough period that we should be able to pay what we owe; so, what have we learned and how have we changed so that a repeat of this will be avoided? We need to deliver that answer America because we owe it to those who have paid disproportionately, to ourselves and to future generations.

Day sixty-eight of the new forty – obla di obla da

CC

7 Responses to We owe…

1. says:

You’re the poster child for those believing everything they’re fed by the powers-that-be and you’re making children choke on that shit as well. Pathetic and disgusting.

2. Avatar of Ms. C Ms. C says:

Robert (ZaZ),

You read more into my post than I say. While not a conspiracy theorist, I am hardly a wholesale supporter of all things the government does. You leave no room in your reading for the thought that I may agree at times with your point of view.

Never fear about the children choking on anything. As my students will tell you, they are encouraged to speak their mind and given the forum in which to do it.

Thank you for attributing poster child status to me. In the future, make sure you nail down the right poster though – you are way off on this one.

CC

3. Barris says:

It’s very easy to sound intelligent and intimidating in two lines of text. Is that why you didn’t explain in further detail?

Pathetic and disgusting.

4. DNA says:

WoW Princess, that is really a loaded question. i think that there is no “one” right answer. everyone has to formulate their own right answer themselves according to their beliefs and ego. what i mean is that your answer obviously was not the one that zaz wanted to hear. as a race of people we are flawed. flawed to the point of not being able to change the mistakes of the past. all through time, one glaring similarity has stood out, our passion and ability to kill one another. over the ages we have become quite skilled at it and continually strive for perfection. as one that has willingly carried that disproportionate load and seen first hand the damage that man can do to one other, my answer is….no. for an explanation of my answer all i can say is someone once said, “we have seen the enemy and he is us.” and im sure that any further explanation would not be the “right” answer that YOU would like to hear.

5. Avatar of Ms. C Ms. C says:

Barris-thanks for the humorous retort to ZaZ.

DNA- with this I concur wholeheartedly – “we have seen the enemy and he is us.” I would argue that there is something to learn from that beyond just an acknowledgment of what is.

And thank you for carrying the disproportionate burden…all the more reason I would like you to further elaborate on your thoughts on what we “owe” or not. :-)

6. DNA says:

sorry fema chick, not in this lifetime. i have said enough on that matter ;) were you really a lawyer at one time??? and you seemed like such a nice person lol

7. Avatar of Ms. C Ms. C says:

DNA~
    Hey…I am a “recovering” lawyer…I am working on getting my soul back. ;-)

CC