I cannot skip my meds…not even for one day.

I had a break with reality on Thursday. I went to Petco to get a cat scratching post and willingly brought Cheyenne with me. I really do know better than to take Cheyenne places where there are animals, but I actually rationalized to myself that I could handle it (hence the break with reality).

Cheyenne loves all creatures – big and small. Fish, parrots, rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters – she wanted them all. I must have heard “Mommy look how CUTE” in that high-pitched squeal two dozen times in the store. The “mommy” label only comes out in the event of injury, fear, or manipulation. Seeing as injury and fear were easily ruled out I knew that it was just a matter of seconds before the age old request was rolled out, “Can I get it?”

I was holding my own there for awhile. I easily made it through the fish, parrots, ferrets and rats but then we got to the furry guinea pigs and they were really cute. Thank goodness I retained some of my wits and didn’t linger too long in front of the guinea pigs, but I lingered just long enough for the trained eye to pick up on weakness. Cheyenne can spot weakness in the same way that animals can smell fear and it is then that she pounces.

As I wandered away from the guinea pigs and started to look at the massive amount of supplies, toys, goodies, etc. that you can buy for these creatures she was right on my heels trying to exploit the weakness. And I must say, it is tempting to consider such a cute little pet especially when you can buy every conceivable thing for it. The guinea pig may be under ten bucks, but the cage, supplies and accessories – well that can easily add up to a hundred plus. It reminds me of when you get a Barbie doll and then you have to have the house, the car, the little sister, the boyfriend, all the shoes and outfits, and the multi-Barbie case.

I am not going to lie – it was a close one; but, at the verge of breaking I saw my salvation out of the corner of my eye – the dog bone bar. I redirected Cheyenne’s attention to the bar so that she could buy things for her dogs for Christmas…whew, I dodged that bullet.

I will have to be more careful in the future…Petco visits must return to covert operations. No more skipping the rational mom medicine – not even for one day.

Day one hundred and fifty-two of the new forty – obla di obla da

CC

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to I cannot skip my meds…not even for one day.

1. PrairieWoman says:

I bet you weren’t wearing your PhD hat either huh? LOL! Good idea to go to the store alone. I still have to do that and Em is 16.

2. Abra La Mente says:

Ahhh…the pet store and children. The only thing worse is to take your pet(s) in there…at least mine. Every time someone squeaks a toy, LuLu goes nuts & everytime another animal is near, Konstantine goes nuts! Me—I go nuts with the neat toys, cute clothes, etc.

Good call to go solo in the future…I should try that sometime…or, skip it altogether!

3. Wendy says:

You’re just very lucky there weren’t Chinchillas there! Cute little mouse face and whiskers, soft bunny body with fur that’s softer than a bunny, and a swirly squirell-like tail. They even use their hands to eat!

4. Avatar of jimlindlauf jimlindlauf says:

With boys, it’s the reptiles: Gross always wins out over cute when you’re thirteen. I do know for sure, however, that we’ll never have one of those in our house!

5. HOMD says:

You’re a TERRIBLE mother, Carol! You should have bought that guinea pig! MY kids had hamsters! What’s the matter with YOU? LMAO — all teasing aside, I was the one who wanted a guinea pig as a child, so when my kids asked for a hamster, I said yes. And who took care of it? Yep, me. They were fun. I enjoyed it. But then again, I’m weird.

6. Avatar of Ms. C Ms. C says:

PW~I have news – the Ph.D. hat does not evidence commonsense. It is merely a testament to persistence and some level of insanity. It offers no protection where begging children are concerned…which begs the question – what good is the darn thing if not for that?

Abra~you are braver than I am…I love the names of your dogs. Lulu is Cheyenne’s nickname and Konstantine – what a great and unusual name! :-)

Wendy~ OMG – you are right! I love chinchillas and would be hard-pressed to control myself. That does it – I need to order my pet stuff online.

GFBison~ As the glamma’ of a whole slew of reptiles (that do not and will not ever live with me) I feel your pain. Cheyenne likes them as well, but she knows that birds and furry rodents have a higher probability of success than fish or reptiles.

HOMD~ I know! I felt guilty for 2.5 seconds and then I remembered all the times I have said yes over the years to creatures and got my wits back about me. ;-)

CC