Audrey II Has Left The Building…

Audrey II has left the building…well, at least the home (see Everything is bigger here…).  You see, Audrey II is a Spathiphyllum, more commonly known as a Peace Lily, and they are “mildly toxic” to cats.  Of course it doesn’t say anything about that on the tag which offers plenty of other information about the plant, but I know to look online as what is green and alive in my house is always subject to digestion by a cat.

So I went to and here is what they said about Audrey II:

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum): Mildly toxic. Chewing on or ingesting can result in irritation of the mouth and throat. Drooling and vomiting may also occur.

Mildly toxic…hmmm…a modifier for toxicity (and here I thought toxic was fairly absolute).  I guess the fact that it doesn’t cause certain death is reassuring, but the truth-be-told – they had me at vomiting.  Not a fan of vomiting from furry friends or people – no stomach for it.  No stomach for even the sound of it – no sir, no vomiting in my vicinity if I can avoid it.

And the lesser alternative – drooling – really?  Yuck.  Not my idea of a good time – a pet drooling on me – although winter is coming in a few months – my thrill meter may adjust downward.

So Audrey II had to be relocated to Putnam Hall where I work and take in the indirect sunlight there.  Now all I have to worry about is hungry students nibbling on Audrey II.  I better keep my candy dish stocked…one vomiting or drooling  incident and poor Audrey II will be out on the street.  Who knew life as a Peace Lily could be so complicated?

Day four hundred and fifteen of the new forty – obla di obla da

Ms. C

1 Response

  1. We used to have a huge peace lily in our house that one of our cats seemed to be attracted to. We had both the cat and the plant for years, but within the past year he started to sit on the edge of the couch and eat the leaves. We tried spraying the plant with this chemical that wasn’t harmful to either but was supposed to keep cats away, but that didn’t work. We finally had to move the plant high up on a shelf in our office to keep him away from it. Unfortunately we always forgot to water it and it ended up dying. I guess losing a plant is better than losing a pet in the long run.

Comments are closed.