My dear friend from California, Rose Marie, forwarded on to me an illuminating email that juxtaposed the way the Governors of California and North Dakota operate. It was apparently created to inject humor into the fairly bleak budget deficit crisis so many states are facing.
I have to tell you though having been a longtime Californian of 30 plus years and having now spent 13 plus years in North Dakota I found this little comparison to be…mmmmm…in a word…well…errrr…accurate.
So I share it here for your amusement or horror (I guess depending on where you live) with a reminder that sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. 😉
The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks the Governor’s dog, then bites the Governor.
1. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie “Bambi” and realizes he should stop because the coyote is only doing what is natural. The coyote proceeds to kill the dog.
2. The Governor calls Animal Control. They capture the coyote and bill the State $200 for disease testing it and $500 for relocating it.
3. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the State $200 testing it for diseases.
4. The Governor goes to hospital and spends $3,500 getting his bite wound bandaged and getting checked for diseases from the coyote.
5. The running trail gets shut down for 6 months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals.
6. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a “coyote awareness program” for residents of the area.
7. The State Legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.
8. The Governor’s security agent is fired for not stopping the attack. The State spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.
9. PETA protests the coyote’s relocation and files a $5 million suit against the State.
The Governor of North Dakota is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks his dog.
1. The Governor shoots the coyote with his State-issued pistol. The dog is unharmed. The Governor and dog keep jogging. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a ..45 ACP hollow point cartridge.
2. The Buzzards eat the dead coyote.
And that, my friends, is why California is broke and North Dakota is not.
Governor Dalrymple – my money is on you…please don’t go about shooting coyotes (tis’ true – you can take the girl out of California, but not necessarily the California out of the girl), but please do continue the tradition of making sensible choices for the State of North Dakota as you move through the legislative session.
Day five hundred and sixty-one of the new forty – obla di obla da