Ditto that!

If the fashion world wants to wax nostalgic and continuously revisit trends from the past (some of which should have died a quick death before they pained so many) – why haven’t they gotten around to bringing Ditto jeans back into the mainstream?  I do believe that Ditto jeans played a key role in the resurgence of men in the seventies saying, “I’m a butt man.”  With their saddleback design there were no better jeans for girls with junk in the trunk (and that was before they called it “junk in the trunk” – in those days it was just “booty” – plain and simple). I was particularly fond of the Ditto hiphuggers – they came in a whole array of pastel colors and I had darn near every color.  We had a store in California back in my high school days called Miller’s Outpost where I would buy my Ditto jeans.  They were the only jeans other than Levi 501 button fly worth wearing in my book in high school.  In later years I moved on to Bongo jeans which also flattered girls with fannies, but I never forgot my Ditto jeans – what I wouldn’t give now to have those back.

I was known for my Ditto jeans alright…and I dare say there may be a boy or two from the high school days who still carries the mental image of me in my pastel hip hugger jeans (ah yes, glory days). If you take a good look at the saddleback deign in this photo you can see why it flatters the fanny – the saddleback design creates a frame of sorts that says, “LOOK AT ME!” And boys sure did look at girls in Ditto jeans…and drooled and heaven’s knows what else…they had a power all their own.  I am fairly confident that Ditto jeans were behind a baby boom.  And no,  I have no firm data that Ditto jeans prompted an abnormal number of pregnancies; but look at the fannies in the photo – it’s a given that they prompted some sexual thoughts.  And you know what they say about the girl who took seriously what was poked at her in fun (sorry, I couldn’t help but whip that one out – an old classic from the late seventies – I’ll say a dozen Hail Marys later).

So hear my plea fashion industry – revisit this one trend and you’ll make the world a much happier and healthier place.  Be sure to bring back the pastels too…I may not be able to revisit my glory days, but I am pretty sure I could still rock some baby blue Ditto jeans. ;-)

Day six hundred and eighty of the new forty – obla di obla da

9 Responses to Ditto that!

1. Christina Santos-Coy says:

I want so much for the dittos to come back. I have looked everywhere for them and no body has them. I too like the butt action they gave my tush and made my legs look longer (i am short). I asked a lot of my friends about their memories of ditto and they tell me that they had a pair in every color. I ask if anyone had a pair in their hope chest and everyone I talk to said no! That they wore their dittos till they fell apart, but would like them to come back too. So if anyone out there comes across a pair of old school dittos please let me know I would like to see them.

2. Sharon says:

I am searching for a pair of vintage Dittos to wear to an upcoming Earth, Wind and Fire concert…I so agree with Ms. C in that there are still men out there who remember me for my Dittos and Dolphin shorts;)) Oh to dig up that burnt orange satin pair I bought at Millers Outpost:))

3. Linda says:

I loved my Dittos!!! The only pant I ever found that fit my body and made it look great!!! Loved them and want to find them again!!!!!!!!!!!

4. jeff says:

every beautiful young woman in my HS wore them. Sano calif had a store that sold the most in all of the USA. such memories. looking to buy a poster of the saddle seat jeans . anybody have one ?? love it for nostalgia. :)

5. jen mcgrew says:

I loved these in the 70s as well, and am currently patterning some to make in my shop because I can’t find any to purchase! I’m making them akin to riding breeches (so the leg won’t be flared- at least on the versions that are going to tuck into boots) because my new custom motor patrol boots just arrived today (wooot!), and I think this is a bangin’ pants look that should go well with those and be a sort of hybrid between motorcycle/ equestrian/ punk. Yes, planning on some zippers and other fun details, too with slightly darker booty in analogous color, sort of like a full seat English riding breech. Happy Christmas to me! If anyone’s into it, I’ll get some pics going as soon as I put out a few fires for the holiday deadlines and will probably start right after xmas. Thanks for your article- it totally reified for me that these ARE the pants for bootyliciousness, and if we can’t find them then we’ll just need to bring this design current again by making some!

• Lula says:

I would love to see any “re-designed” Dittos that you make. Are you going to be selling them in your shop (is your shop online)? In high school I had a rust/brown pair of saddle back style and a pair of black Dittos with the “chevron” style booty stitching. I remember wrapping those bell bottoms around my calves so I could pull my knee high boots up over them. I think an equestrian style leg would be a great idea. It is a mystery why no company has revived this line. Somebody call Gwen Stefani!

6. EDWARD YUNKER says:

I would like to purchase the old school ditto jeans for my wife please tell me where I can go to purchase them thnx

7. Ramona Chester says:

Like you, I had the Ditto’s in an array of colors and LOVED THEM. I have been asking the same question for years now and thought if I could start a fashion industry, I would totally re-make Ditto’s. I was surprised nobody did start them back up, especially a few years back when high waisted flares hit the fashion scene. I suppose it is just a matter of time and look how great we looked – pre photoshop!!!!! That should be a strong selling point right there! Miller’s Outpost – that takes me back too! Plus I agree with your Dittos or Levis, everything else was dorky!

8. kathleen says:

I googled ditto jeans and found they are still made………….here is the website and they have a store locator :) have fun!!!! http://dittosbrand.com/