Can you hear me now?

I am miffed at Verizon today.  Miffed because after years of being a loyal customer and payments over my time with them that I estimate have now eclipsed $30,000 (I have been with them for quite awhile) – they refuse to waive a contract termination fee.  It seems when you have a family plan and transfer upgrades between phones, the upgrade is tied to the number you transferred it from and sets the new contract and termination fee.  So one of my simple basic phone lines whose upgrade was transferred to another family line that has a smartphone now cannot be cancelled without paying $320.

Uh yeah…I won’t be paying that.  I tried, to no avail, to convince the agent on the line to think critically about the sensibility of the issue.  I am a long-time customer with five lines with Verizon and I pay hundreds of dollars a month to their company – does the company really believe it advances its cause by being rigid with me?  Over the remainder of the contract that line in its regular state (about $14 a month) will only generate about $300 in income; yet, they will jeopardize my customer satisfaction for that?   He said his hands are tied – there is a contract you know – Verizon cannot allow any variations when there is a contract.  Seriously?  That’s all you’ve got??

Well, the good news is, I did not raise my voice or cuss despite my increasing frustration as the call went on.  I merely told Travis (my friendly Verizon representative) that I was very displeased and wanted that displeasure clearly notated on the call notes.  I’ll bet the call notes say something like:

“OMG!  This woman is an unrelentless bitch!  No matter how many times you tell her you can’t change the situation, she keeps asking about alternative options.  I spent almost an hour on the phone with her and she still wouldn’t let go of her position that Verizon should be able to do better by loyal customers. Steer clear from her if at all possible and if not, keep some Tylenol handy – you will not emerge unscathed.”

I imagine that is what the notes of my call today say.  I’ll be calling Verizon again…and again…and again…and again.  There will be more call notes on my account than entries in a teenage girl’s diary.  I will keep calling Verizon until they are responsive to my request or until the phone contract has elapsed.  I will blow-out an hour of customer service time each time and if nothing else I will know when it is all said and done that I have extracted a like non-cancellation fee from them in the form of paid employee hours expended.

So, I ask you Verizon, “Can you hear me now?”  No worries…you’ll soon be hearing more from me than you ever wanted. ;-)

Day eight hundred and forty-eight of the new forty – obla di obla da

8 Responses to Can you hear me now?

1. Stan says:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

2. Avatar of S. L. S. L. says:

Too many companies today no longer seem to believe that the “customer is always right”. Yah suppose all those people who invested money with B. Madoff had a contract?? And it is good for what, now?? Go for it, Ms C. I would also cut as much as possible out of the bill [bare bones], even if I had to get another phone with a different company. Five lines, huh? Verizon is out of their mind ……….

3. paul says:

$30,000 on phone service? Cell phones haven’t been around long enough for you to have a bill that high. My word, that’s a lot of money just to be connected. Is it worth it?

4. Avatar of stormchaser stormchaser says:

We dropped Verizon all together because of some crap they pulled with us earlier. When we tried to change cell numbers apparently they messed something up and then they never sent us the bill for that month and instead sent it to collections, which we promptly paid, and now it’s on y husband’s credit report that Verizon was never paid. We sent them the bank statements and everything. They still claimed that it wasn’t paid. What a load of crap.

5. Katherine says:

That’s why I don’t believe in family plans. Everyone get your own line. I know people in their 30s who are still under their parent’s plan. If you’re old enough to use a phone, you’re old enough to pay for it yourself. I didn’t have a cell when I was 12, and I turned out just fine.

6. Avatar of Mac Mac says:

Well Ms C., I’ve made my living in the service industry employing hundred of wonderful people that are embarassingly underpaid for how kind and decent we expect them to be.

My advice would be to say something to the effect of “Travis, you’ve been wonderful trying to help me. You work way too hard to deal with someone like me. Can I speak to your supervisor? Then ask Tiffany to speak to her supervisor and so on and so forth until you get to someone like me who said to their managers: “If this problem lands on my desk, I’m going to take care of the customer. Why did you antagonize her until it got to ME????”

You’ll get to one of those managers if you have the patience. (BTW, there will be some difficult types who derive their identiy by exerting control. Refuse to engage them and demand their supervisor. Belittle them if it makes you feel better) :)

7. Barbara says:

I LOVE your plan of action–especially if combined with Mac’s suggestions. I am SO sick of seeing all those specials offered by mega-companies to new customers and just totally blowing off loyal veteran customers. You GO, girl and don’t let up!

8. Stan says:

Mac, I did that with an insurance company that told us”Go ahead and fix the roof, it’s all covered” after i gave them estimates and then tried to pay for only half of it. I find that long silences unnerve the reps, then as you say, keep repeating…..”let me talk to your supervisor…..now.”