Congratulations Nadine!

I had to laugh when my friend Amy sent me the story about Fargo’s Nadine Schweigert’s vow to herself.  Amy picked up the story on Yahoo!, but I caught the original story on InForum (written by Tammy Swift).  Nadine Schweigert’s marriage to hersef represented her public acknowledgement that “she has learned to love and accept herself as she is.”

Not everyone is with Nadine on her version of nuptials, but I am.  I examined the value in this notion back in October of 2010 in my blog ( You are invited… ).  I termed my ceremony a renewal of vows – a recommitment ceremony.  I was pretty much on the same page as Nadine in my recommitment ceremony – well, except that I only talked the talk and never actually had a formal ceremony.  I was more concerned with making the proclamation of recommitment to my appreciation of self so I could justify the wearing of my cute bridal jewelry (my conviction knows some limitations).

My ceremony was handwritten and designed to fit the peculiar personality I am.  Even as I reflect on the ceremony verbiage now I get a bit choked up.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to rejoin this woman with herself (to include however many personalities exist in that head of hers) and her sparkly jewelry.  From this day forward she promises to love, honor and cherish herself the way only she can and to never again settle for anything less than someone who would cherish her as much as she does herself.  In the meantime she promises to enjoy every rip-roaring minute of her commitment to herself without apology or regrets.  Amen, hallelujah and pass the champagne! ;-)

Congratulations on your wedding Nadine!  I can tell you from experience, this is one union that you won’t have to worry about getting a lawyer to help with if it ever splits up…all you’ll need is a therapist and cute names for your other personalities.  And frankly, in my mind, as long as all your personalities appreciate fine jewelry and enjoy their marriage to self status – the more the merrier.  Take it from me – I know of what I speak – you picked the perfect person to marry. ;-)

Day nine hundred and eighty-eight of the new forty – obla di obla da

12 Responses to Congratulations Nadine!

1. Pat says:

Nuns also marry their “inner groom”, their “beautiful self” — he’s called “Christ”. They even wear a ring. It’s not a redefinition. It’s traditional. I also enjoy the traditional marriage of peanut butter and jelly, and the marriage of words and music. We even make a game out of marriage when we play pinochle.

2. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

3. …and congrats to YOU!

4. Barbara says:

This is absolutely priceless! In fact, I think I’ll print it out and frame it–and see if it results in any family conferences about chucking me in the nursing home! :D

5. Kirt Schweigert says:

Congrats sis :)

6. katherine says:

Ditto and amen!

7. Becky says:

Carol, best wishes to you and all your personalities from me and all of mine . . .

*ahem*
    . . . for much happiness.
    ;o)

8. Becky says:

Um, I put a comment in brackets, and it didn’t appear in the comment. I wonder whether it’s off wreaking havoc in the ether . . . .

Without it my comment doesn’t make much sense.

Here’s what I actually wrote (using different brackets this time):

{“Shut up, bitch! It’s my turn to talk!”}

*ahem*

. . . for much happiness.

;o)

• Edna says:

Nuns also marry their “inner groom”, their “beautiful self” — he’s called “Christ”. They even wear a ring. It’s not a reitiindefon. It’s traditional. I also enjoy the traditional marriage of peanut butter and jelly, and the marriage of words and music. We even make a game out of marriage when we play pinochle.

9. Pingback: The Surprising World of Sologamy [Poll]

10. Pingback: The Surprising World of Sologamy [Poll]

11. Jonnie says:

I know that this post is old, but I have always wanted to comment on Nadine’s solo wedding ceremony. I know a lot of people gave her flack and put her down for it, but I think it was wonderful! The way she openly did it and actually took stock of herself and wanted to make a commitment to her own self was beautiful.

I can relate as I am a 48 year old male who remains single too and I would like to do it just like a nun does and make a vow to use my singleness and my love to help others and spend each of my numbered days on Earth to do so. As long as we dig in deep and find the whys we will be okay.