$3.59!!!!

On February 7th, I wrote about gas prices that had risen about 40 cents over a few weeks to $3.39 a gallon.  Today, on February 15th the gas prices are $3.59 a gallon.  Are you $%!?@$#$%?!@$%$!! kidding me??!!  What the heck is going on?

That is it!  I am officially in full-blown protest mode.

How can it be that our state – North Dakota, which has sold off so much of who we are as a state for the sake of increasing U.S. oil reserves – cannot do more about either stabilizing or reducing the price of gas locally?  These rising gas prices are adding insult to injury.

Here’s a thought – how about our legislators taking action to ensure that North Dakotans get some relief from gas prices?  Where is the benefit for the burden the state is bearing?  The only up-side to the oil boom in Western North Dakota is money.  But that money came at a pretty hefty cost – one cannot help but wonder if North Dakota’s way of life will suffer irreparable harm.

Alas, there is no turning back time – the oil patch is here to stay for many, many years into the future.  The best case scenario is that the infrastructure and housing catch up quickly with the needs in the West.  But make no mistake about it, Western North Dakota as we knew it pre-boom will not be back – at least not until many years after the oil is gone (and likely not even then).  It certainly won’t be in my lifetime.

As such, the least the citizens of North Dakota should get is some relief from the devil that its soul was sold to…at the least we should get some break in regard to erratic gas prices.  Is this really too much to ask?

Well, I don’t give a rat’s fanny if it is too much to ask!  I am asking anyway!  North Dakota Legislature – how about you stop worrying about how you can meddle your way into folks’ marriages and reproductive rights and spend some time focused on ways in which you can increase all citizens’ prosperity?  For heaven’s sake – do something about these gas prices or give folks a hefty check to subsidize these costs.  Isn’t that the least you can do for the citizens of North Dakota?

Day one thousand three hundred and nineteen of the new forty – obla di obla da

8 Responses to $3.59!!!!

1. Miki says:

It’s $3.69 here in Cooperstown. Uffda!

2. Mike says:

Ahhh, hitting on a nerve. I can’t say “I love it” but I always pay attention to the explanations we are given during spikes like these. At first, it was “prices could jump as deliveries of more expensinve Spring blends make their way to the pumps”. Spring blends? In North Dakota? It was January 13th! Then it’s the “refinaries going offline to perform maintenance” story. ALL of them go offline at one time? We don’t stagger this process as to not upset production? No stockpile ahead of time? Then the blizzard in the east preventing transporation of fuel – crapola.

When something doesn’t add up in business rationality – add the scenario of ‘money’ to the equation. It makes sense (or in THIS case – cents) every time.

Or better still, at the pumps, we are getting hosed.

3. Becky says:

From what I understand it is sold on the world market so it doesn’t matter if you drill it here or across the world it doesnt lower our price for gas a whit as far as I know. Outside taking taxes off the price of gas I don’t see how our legislature can do anything about the world oil market. We have very low gas prices right now we just think they are high, they will get a lot worse in the future.

4. Becky says:

P.s. I agree with you completely they should do something productive without meddling in personal lives!

5. ValleyGuy says:

Here is a reason why the price of gas (or other commodities) goes up:

For year, the US Government, along with the Federal Reserve, has been expanding the monetary base.

The more currency printed (and electronic digits), causes the currency to be weakened. This results in the currency to lose value. The more the currency loses value, prices rise.

Viola! The currency debasement results in higher prices. Yes, there are some sectors that may have deflation, like the real estate market in many parts of the country, the lose of confidence in a currency will eventually cause it to collapse.

A sound currency, backed by gold, will keep prices stable. The US Gov’t has and will continue to be on a spending spree.

Gas prices will remain volatile. Until the US Dollar currency is stabilized, it will be a fact of life.

6. Sheri says:

It went from 3.59 to 3.79 overnight in the Twin Cities. Hard to believe!!

7. Henry says:

Gas was $1.86 when the evil George Bush left office. Now, with the mastermind of energy Obamba, gas is $3.59. Transformative change. The next step is the effects of brilliant people “saving” me money on my healthcare are going to start kicking in.

8. Avatar of Tim Barton Tim Barton says:

Like everyone else I am concerned about rising gas prices and wonder why are they going up now. According to the U.S. Energy Information Agency http://www.eia.gov/
    it’s due to taxes. The Gulf Coast States tax oil inventories on December 31 of each year. So it is in the best interest of the oil companies to draw down supplies while these taxes are being assessed. Last December’s inventory decreased 50% more than in past years because LA and TX increased these taxes. This caused a short supply and the higher prices we are paying now.