While chatting with Nancy Thomasson at the Inn at Maple Crossing I learned of an event called Sisters Sojourn being held in Mentor, Minnesota on September 13th and 14th. As I understand it, this event has been going on for a few years now and is all about nurturing the souls of women through knowledge, creativity, restfulness, and play. Nancy did not have to chat with me long to conclude that this was my type of event. Go figure. 😉
The cost to participate in this event is incredibly reasonable – only $55 for the two day event. For that participants get to attend a series of workshops (I will list those below), speakers, concerts, and mixers – a steal of a deal indeed. And all of this is in the company of women who will share their knowledge, talents, experiences, and gifts in an effort to nurture other women’s knowledge, talents, experiences, and gifts. What’s not to love??!!
I encourage you to check out the webpage for this event here – you can register online. I am presently trying to do some rearranging in my schedule so that I can attend and enjoy this event for the first time. I checked with the organizers of the event to see if it was something I can bring my 14 year old daughter to and the response was a resounding, “YES!” I think this would be a great opportunity for Cheyenne to experience the power of the sisterhood. I would encourage mothers of teen girls to do the same. One is never too young to become a fierce girl.
Check out the event schedule and offered workshops below – you will see many familiar names and lots of great options to choose from. Indeed, you will may be hardpressed to pick just four.
Friday – September 13, 2013
11:00 – Noon Registration ~ Art Vendors Open
Noon – 12:30 PM Opening with Sara Rogalla
12:30 – 1:30 PM Workshops “A”
1:30 – 2:00 PM Sojourn ~ Shop, eat, relax!
2:00 – 3:00 PM Concert ~“Amanda Standalone & The Pastry Shop Girls”
3:00 – 3:30 PM Sojourn!
3:30 – 4:30 PM Workshops “B”
4:30 – 5:00 PM Sojourn!
5:00 – 6:00 PM Sara Rogalla ~ “Laughter Yoga”
Saturday – September 14
9:00 – 10:00 AM Registration
10:00 – 10:30 AM Opening with Jamie Lee
10:30 – 11:30 Workshops “C”
11:30 – 12:30 Sojourn ~ Lunch, shopping!
12:30 – 1:30 PM Concert ~ “Caleigh”
1:30 – 2:00 PM Sojourn!
2:00 – 3:00 Workshops “D”
3:00 – 3:30 Sojourn!
3:30 Closing & Wine Reception
Please choose one workshop from each group!
Workshops ~ Group A: Friday ~ 12:30 ~ 1:30
1. Sips, Apps and Entrees – Sue Doeden – Join Sue as she demonstrates the preparation of her favorite seasonal party-perfect beverage, an appetizer that can be easily toted to potlucks and holiday parties and an entree that is everyday family friendly, yet can be dressed up a bit for dinner guests. All quick and easy. All sure to please. And you’ll be pleased too, that Sue will definitely make time to show you a healthful sweet treat.
2. Spring Forest Qigong – Ann Dolence – Ann will lead you through this practice of simple movements, mental focus, breathing and meditation. Spring Forest Qigong can open energy blockages. Imagine a river being blocked and the natural flow of water is blocked. Discover how opening blockages in your body can restore the natural flow of energy.
3. Create with Felt & Embroidery – Jane Carlstrom – In today’s high-tech fast pace life, soft decorative pieces lend a touch of quiet, calm, and gentleness in a home. In this workshop, you will learn how to incorporate felt and embroidery into a decorative and whimsical magnet creation.
4. Heirloom Tomatoes /Yes We Can – Sheila Capistran – Join Ada Tomata Sheila Capistran as she shares her passion for raising, harvesting and preserving this beautiful fruit. From seed saving and selecting, to making your tomatoes produce like never before, she encourages you to bring all the questions you want answered. In this class you will be taking these fruits and turning them into canned works of art and bring home your own creation. And you know… You Can Do It! $5.oo supply cost.
5. Mini Spirit Books – Jo McFarlin -Who needs Hallmark? Once you learn to create a one page, eight pocket mini-book it will be your “go to” for every occasion. Super easy and inexpensive. The pockets can be filled with words of encouragement, inspiration or birthday wishes.
6. Photograph Your Life- Caty Larson -Gain a new perspective of how to photograph your everyday life – your kids, grandkids, travels and all the little things around you. Learn photography tips and techniques that will inspire you to simply take better pictures. This is not a “camera how-to” class, but you are welcome to bring your camera!
Workshops ~ Group B: Friday ~ 3:30 ~ 4:30
7. Hummus & Smoothies- Lindi Mosher -Learn how to make hummus, a great dip that’s loaded with protein and healthy fats. We will make a batch in a few minutes and you will see how fresh it is compared to what you buy in the store (unless of course you’re buying it Mosher’s Food 4 Life!). We’ll also be making smoothies… you’ll never go back to corn flakes for breakfast again! Come and see how delicious kale, blueberries, bananas, strawberries and so many other healthier ingredients can be.
8. Therapeutic Yoga – April Larson – Join April in this yoga session that will include movement designed to target shoulders, neck, spine and hip stability and range of motion. No prior yoga experience needed!
9. Metal Stamping 101 – Joyce Paul -Learn the art of metal stamping and how easy it is to create pieces of jewelry that are unique and one of a kind using words and embellishing with beads. You will leave with a finished personalized necklace you have made yourself! Supply cost: $15 includes metal stamping kit.
10. Your Big Bad Beautiful Brain – Jamie Lee -Jamie has an obsession with the human brain. She has spent a lifetime understanding how it drives our bus – affecting everything from decision making to who we choose for a mate, to how we choose our path. Even more importantly, she offers real skills and strategies for altering destructive patterns, creating powerful new patterns, enhancing relationships, and getting over having to always be the good little girl. Join Jamie in unraveling the mysteries of the mind…for your own good.
11. Essential Oils and Healing- Cathy Godtland – Using her healing hands, healing touch methods, Cathy will demonstrate how touch combined with therapeutic grade essential oils can provide comfort and healing to you and your family. Through inhalation and application, you will experience the benefits of essential oils in this hands-on workshop.
12. Sisters Sojourn Drum Circle – Diane Lagasse -Come discover the inherent drummer within you! Learn how to express your innate inner rhythms with drums, shakers, tambourines, bells, hand chimes, Boom whackers, woods, and ‘Funky Plastic Percussion by Diane’. No musical skills are required to participate! All Sisters Sojourners are welcome!
Workshops ~ Group C: Saturday ~ 10:30 – 11:30
13. Oktober Wine Fest – Bonnie Stewart – Germany is world renowned for their fine spicy and sweet white wines. It is believed the Riesling Grape is indigenous to Germany. Discover the wines that are unique to this country and what food pairs best with them. Raise your glass in this fun and interactive wine tasting workshop!
14. Dreams…a journey into the dream state – Geri Bang -What happens at night when you fall asleep? Is your consciousness expressing random thoughts from your day or are you being given important clues about your journey? This class will teach you how to sort out your dreams, identify symbols and themes, gather information to achieve your deepest intentions and to consciously prepare your dream state to give you answers to the life you’ve been seeking.
15. Terrariums – Michelle Solheim with Hannah Solheim -This class was so popular last year Michelle is back to show you how to create a stunning terrarium. Terrariums have made a huge rebound – don’t miss the boat! They can transport you from home or office to a peaceful woodland sanctuary with just a glance through the glass. In this class you will choose from various glass containers, plants, and other natural elements. Supply cost: $15.
16. Design Your own Mandala – Mary Bratrud -The Mandala is a circle with a purpose. In some cultures it takes on a spiritual aspect. Daily we connect with circles … circles of friends, circles of families and communities. We reproduce circles in art, quilts, gardening and architecture. Many of these images give us focus, symmetry, balance and a feeling of serenity. Discover the history and culture of Mandala and take a moment to create your own. With Mary’s creativity, fun presentation and guidance, no art talent required!
17. Discover Your Strengths! – Ellen Boyd -If you align with your strengths (talents) and your values, you will have more joy and less stress. Who doesn’t want that? Find out how amazing you are with some simple tools that will let your light shine!
18. Dance to the Music! – Nancy Laines – Experience the joy of moving to music while improving your fitness and burning 300 – 500 calories! Learn a dance routine that combines rhythm, functional fitness, great music and FUN! You will receive a cd and dance instructions so you can continue the routine at home!
Workshops ~Group D: 2:00 ~ 3:00
19. Farm to Table – Heather Schneider – With a focus on flavor from spices & herbs and using locally grown produce and delicious grains like farro and gluten free quinoa, you will discover how easy and delicious healthy cooking is!
20. Toning Zumba – Lisa Schnelbach – Lisa will lead you through a Zumba Toning routine designed to tone your target zones – arms, abs and thighs. Learn how to sculpt your body naturally while having a great time! Lisa brings energy and fun to Zumba!
21. No Ordinary Snowman! – Dawn Resendiz -Dawn is back with her creative genius of taking repurposed items and making them into something spectacular! Drawing from nature and the bottom of your ugly Christmas sweater box, you will once again turn the ordinary into the fantastic! You will leave with a “snowsister” to enhance your holiday decorating. Workshop Fee: $20.
22. Feng Shui – Cheryl Cullen – Feng Shui is implemented to create a healthy flow of energy in your living space to affect positive change in all aspects of your life. It is designed to enhance not only your home and environment, but also your life. In this one hour workshop you will be given an introduction to how Feng Shui works. You will also receive 15 Feng Suit tips you can apply immediately to start attracting greater health and prosperity into your life.
23. ReDoux! – Annie Poitra – Workshop information coming soon! Annie is owner and creator of the unique home decor store, ReDoux in Fargo. We are thrilled she is going to be a part of our event.
24. Spanish Fun & Easy – Hannah Solheim – Have you ever visited a Spanish speaking country wishing you could strike up a conversation with local folks? Learn “need to know phrases” in a fast and fun way for your first or next visit to Mexico, Spain, or South America. Not only can Hannah speak the language, but she has traveled to these countries and can offer you some traveling tips!
I congratulate the organizers of Sisters Sojourn for putting together a great list of offerings – I sincerely hope I will be able to attend this year. After all, I already know the perfect place to stay. 😉
Day one thousand four hundred and ninety-five of the new forty – obla di obla da