Grandma power…

Today my youngest grandchild, Lennon, had surgery to remove his tonsils and adenoids and to address sinus and lung issues.  When I learned about the planned surgery, I was less than thrilled.  The thought of him being put under anesthesia and kept at the hospital overnight caused me worry. After all, he is only 22 months old and with surgery there is always risk.

Alas, after many months of one illness after another, it was concluded that these items needed to be attended to in order to improve his future health prognosis.  And so it was that I spent the afternoon into the evening today at Sanford.  I wanted to be there before, during, and after Lennon’s surgery to make sure that he was okay. Somehow, in my grandma mind, my being there assured me that I would be close enough to take action if something happened.  Not that I have any medical training or knowledge of how such things should be.  None of my children had surgery or spent time in the hospital when they were young. But I do know one potent and relevant thing – I have grandma power.

Grandma power is unlike any other power.  It is a power fueled by love and determination.  Grandmas have already spent an inordinate amount of time keeping their own children safe.   When it comes to a grandchild, a grandma needs to not only protect the grandchild, but to also protect the parent of the grandchild that she reared all those years.  Grandmas are supercharged mothers.

When I left the hospital this evening Lennon was still in rough shape, but his spirits were improving.  I needed to see him rallying to be able to feel comfortable taking my grandma power home.  His parents are staying overnight at the hospital with him and his mama knows to call her mama if the grandma power is needed.  In the meantime, I thank God for carrying Lennon safely through the surgery.  There are some things grandma power cannot do – for some things you have to go to a higher power. ;-)

Day one thousand three hundred and eighty-six of the new forty – obla di obla da

6 Responses to Grandma power…

1. Gail says:

Aw, what a trooper! Glad he made it through surgery OK. And calling on that higher power is sometimes the only way WE can make it through the rough spots.

2. Katherine says:

Gramma power is the higher power with skin on.

3. tim haering says:

MY infant-toddler son had a few exploratories, so I am familiar with your angst. I had my tonsils out at age 4, so I can feel some of Lennon’s schmertz. But you know who had more angst than me – his mom. Moms feel the vulnerability more, maybe, I guess, I don’t know. I trusted the doctors and conveyed on Will my invincibility. That was before my strokes, brain surgery and introduction to vincibility.

But back then, Mom was the source of all comfort. When he woke from anesthesia, it was Mom he wanted. Dad didn’t really have true significance until about 3. SO I didn’t feel all that important during the “procedures” – a rhetorical spin to opaque the blood, cutting and dangers.

Anyhow, I pray surgery accomplished its goals and Lennon is home soon, putting it all behind him. And though Lennon may not have paid you much notice in the hospital, in his heart God is showing him your image and playing this song:

Though I know I’ll never lose affection
    For people and things that went before
    I know I’ll often stop and think about them
    In my life I love you more
    In my life I love you more

4. Valerie L-M says:

Grandma power means it doesn’t matter how much blood you get on your clothes.

5. Valerie L-M says:

(sniff)

6. B-dubya says:

This photo reminds me so much of the great Madonna and Child paintings in classic art. Beautiful!